18 years ago, athletes knew nothing about CrossFit. In 2000, Greg Glassman and Lauren Genai created a fitness corporation CrossFit Inc., which is based on a fundamentally new kind of sport. So, what is CrossFit today?
What is CrossFit?
CrossFit is a system of functional high-intensity training, based on elements of such disciplines as weightlifting, gymnastics, aerobics, kettlebell lifting, a complex of exercises and other sports. Crossfit, unlike other fitness areas, is a competitive sport. Thousands of sportsmen take part in tournaments all over the world supported by healthcare solutions groups.
Today, there are different types of CrossFit, depending on the purpose: it is used in combat and security units, law enforcement, fire units, self-defense courses, as a training set for sports teams. There are also specialized applications with sparing programs for the elderly, pregnant women and children.
Why do we need CrossFit?
CrossFit is primarily aimed at increasing the strength and endurance of the body. CrossFit Inc. defines it as constantly varying functional movements, performed with high intensity in different time intervals and modal domains. This is a complex of exercises, lasting for a total of 15 to 60 minutes, including several different physical exercises for different muscle groups. That’s what CrossFit means in fitness – it’s a multidirectional self-improvement of the body and willpower.
The basics of CrossFit include several basic sets – cardio-exercises, gymnastic exercises, and exercises with free weights.
So why do we need CrossFit? No doubt, like any fitness direction in sports, it pursues the task of “building” a human body, but unlike all other sports, CrossFit aims to create perfect athletes – the most physically prepared people on the planet. That is why cross-method is actively used in combat sports, during training of special power units, firemen and other professional directions, where physical skills are especially important.
Benefits and risks of CrossFit workout
Like any other sport, CrossFit has pros and cons. Let’s take a closer look at this issue. Let’s start, perhaps, with advantages.
Top 10 health benefits of CrossFit
- Trains the heart;
- Improves the flexibility of the body;
- Develops power;
- Strengthens the body’s overall endurance ;
- Improves body coordination;
- Improves metabolic processes;
- You will feel and control your body better;
- You feel better in everyday life;
- A variety of activities will never make you get bored in training;
- A small share of competition in group classes, which adds excitement and the desire to engage in sports more and more;
- You will become “a universal soldier”. You can run 1 km, move the weights, and so on
Possible risks of CrossFit
The load on the cardiovascular system is high. There is an opinion that CrossFit harms the heart. If you do not follow the training and recovery mode, the problems will not be long in coming.
Like any sport associated with free weights, CrossFit is traumatic. It is important to carefully follow the technique of exercises, not to set unnecessary records.
Training mode is important!
If you are just a beginner, it is extremely important either to use existing training programs or to develop your own with an experienced coach.
The common mistake of many athletes thinking about CrossFit is that it’s a series of endless training cycles, like – run for 5 minutes, then run for 10 minutes at a distance and immediately jerk at the weight, and then repeat 20 times. This can lead to such problems as:
- Training plateau – the adaptation of the body to certain physical loads, as a result of which the growth of muscles and other physical indicators ceases. You need to change loads and gradually increase them, thereby avoiding this unpleasant symptom;
- Injuries – this is what CrossFit can provoke in unprepared athletes. Usually, they are associated with fatigue and impaired coordination due to the wrong approach to gymnastics and cardio sets. In addition, injuries occur as a result of uncomfortable equipment of athletes;
- Overtraining can be caused due to the fact that people do not understand that the CrossFit system should be accompanied not only by an uninterrupted training but also by proper rest, a healthy sleep. To avoid it, you need to make small breaks between sets, accompanied by a low five-minute physical activity, and also arrange days off.
If you decided to engage in CrossFit, you need to be ready to carefully follow the training schedule: follow the moderate pulse zone, perform each exercise with the utmost precision, do not forget about the technique and have enough time to rest and recover.